Still recovering from surgery.
Before, people were saying, “You’ll feel so much better, right away!”
After, it’s all “It’s going to be weeks before you feel better”.
I’ve got nothing in writing so I can’t point fingers.
I’ll say this much, surgical glue really ROCKS! No worries about wetting bandages or stitches. Showering the very next day. (Here is where I’d have put in a photograph of my incisions, and the black and blues which ensued. You can thank me for not doing it.)
Well, that’s not really accurate. I *would* have been showering if we had hot water. Those that have followed my blog for the past…wow, it’s been more than 10 years, I think…know that we have bad luck with water.
- Flooding in our first basement apartment, to the point we had to sleep with lights on and fans blowing for days. At least 6″ of water from heavy rains that just sluiced down the outside basement stairs, into our place.
- Mold in the storage unit of our next apartment.
- Not really having any water pressure in our NEXT apartment because the delightful landlord “forgot” to open the valve.
The next rental was full of water fun*.
- The time I colored my hair and the plastic glove got stuck in the tub drain – which didn’t have a cover – and we had to call a plumber.
- The time we were making RO water for our saltwater fish tank. We went out for the day and when we got home, it was raining indoors because the thingamabob came off the faucet and the sink on the second floor had runneth over…to the first floor.
- The “unconfirmed” tornado that ripped thru our backyard. The rain earlier in the day was so hard that it was leaking into the kitchen windows. And by “leaking”, I mean pouring. It was a 100-yr-old house.
- The time we had a 70 gallon pail of salt water getting ready to put into our fish tank…and Tom went to work…and I woke up to a big BANG. The pail had tipped and the living room flooded…it leaked thru to the basement, right above the burner. A few months later the burner flappy-thing (technical name) had rusted because “something” caused it to corrode.
- When we moved we had to replace all of the carpet padding.
Whatever the hell has happened in this house for the past 14 years.
Friday we learned our water heater of 2 years had come very close to frying itself. We’d been having to hit the reset button for about 2 weeks, which meant spotty times of hot water/cold showers. The unit had kept sparking (I guess) and burnt thru the plastic around the wires and melted the insulation. Nice. So we have a new water heater sitting in our front hallway. The plumber can’t get here until Monday.
Last night our freezer did its own version of a John Carpenter movie.
I opened it to find everything covered in ice crystals. Now, there are only two of us living here (not counting the cat…I’m blaming him) and neither one of us remembers the last time we went into the freezer. It had frosted and then tried defrosting itself to the point where I couldn’t open the door. It took us 45 minutes to remove the food – the loss of the good ice cream and gelato hit us the hardest – remove the drawers and shelves and clear out all of the ice and snow. Not much went back in…guess I’ve got some shopping to do.
One the up-side, I won’t have to do a freezer cleaning for another 3 years.
I kid. Mostly.
*Unless you’re our old landlord, reading this. In that case, I made all of this up. I’m very creative.
p.s. I used the category “Funny Stuff” because I have a dark sense of humor. All of this makes me laugh.